Monday, April 5, 2010

Goblin Valley Day #4

Hiking the slot canyon at Little Wild Horse Canyon in the San Raphael Reef!

IMG_1296

Amazing, this was probably the highlight of the trip!  Spectacular scenery.  I would love to take Robert’s family here to go camping and hiking!

IMG_1291

IMG_1301

Such a model!

IMG_1308

The canyon twisted and turned like a snake.  There were parts of the canyon that required turning side ways and squeezing through.  Not the best place if you are prone to being closter phobic!IMG_1325

    What an adventure we had exploring and seeing such amazing formations!

IMG_1311 IMG_1312

A perfect resting place for a little mountain goat!

IMG_1315

I would hate to be in this canyon during a flash flood.  Sheer cliffs reaching a 100 + feet upward and no where to go!  Early spring is actually a safe time to hike because there is less of a tendency for torrential rainfall.  Late summer is not the time to go, that is monsoon season in the desert!

IMG_1317

A view looking up from the canyon floor! 

IMG_1318

Oh I have such a handsome husband!  Man oh man! 

IMG_1320

A Boulter under a boulder!  A cool natural tunnel!

 IMG_1331

Perfect family picture! 

IMG_1335

I love you Daddy!

IMG_1337

Charlie was holding Grandpa’s hand and looked up and said Grandpa you have really big hands! 

IMG_1338 IMG_1339

IMG_1340

IMG_1343 IMG_1348

Thirsty little boy!  He was the best and did a fantastic job hiking and keeping up with the adults. 

  We hiked 4 miles in the canyon and I could have hiked all day; it was invigorating and a thrilling adventure.   We hope to return soon and continue exploring; there are so many places to explore  in Southern Utah…..this is the tip of the ice berg, so to say!

IMG_1352

Most of the hike we were in the shade and then there was a patch of sunshine!  I love how these pictures turned out.

IMG_1353IMG_1354

IMG_1356

 IMG_1362

Back at the trail head enjoying a  cold drink and snack!

IMG_1365

Desert and in the distance a snow capped Mount Henry!

1 comment:

Gram B said...

Your photos are amazing. I hope that we can go with you someday too.