Charlie was recently diagnosed with JIA or Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis.
My Mom noticed that Charlie was starting to limp and favor his left leg. A month or more went by and then while I was giving him a bath I noticed that his right knee joint was more than double the size of his left. He also could not completely extend his leg.
I took him to Dr. Wynn, Charlie’s Pediatrician and he diagnosed him with JIA. The doctor told us to get a hold of Primary Children’s Hospital and see a specialist.
After seeing the specialist we were told Charlie needed a cortisone injection in his knee joint to see if this would help the swelling go away. If left unattended the leg with the swollen joint stops growing while the other leg does not. It is also very painful.
Here we are at the hospital
We had to leave at 6 in the morning to get to the hospital for his injection at 8. He could not eat or drink due to needing anesthesia for the procedure.
In order to make sure they get the injection in the joint they require that children receive anesthesia.
Leave it to Charlie to be all grins no matter what!
Getting to play with the doctor’s stethoscope!
I got to be with him when he received anesthesia; talk about a very unnerving experience for a mother.
Waking up after the anesthesia! Yeah it is all done! The best little patient ever!
The nursing staff that monitored him after coming out of his procedure. They were extremely nice!
All done and going home!


1 comment:
Oh what a sweet little boy - I'm glad that everything went well. Is this something that he will have to do again?
Post a Comment