A Cultural Event
The boys were not willing to get one more picture
Pow Wow
On Saturday we went to a Native American Pow Wow at Soldier Hallow. Soldier Hallow is where they held 26 medal events during the 2002 Winter Olympics. It is just a little ways from Heber.
The Pow Wow was an amazing event. I have always been very intrigued with Native American music and dancing. The people looked so neat in their traditional regalia. The bright feathers and ornate designs of bead work that adorned their clothing was a beautiful site. They sang and danced from 11:30 in the morning until midnight. We got their around one and stayed until four. After which we went to my Grandmother's home where she had a delicious meal prepared. I wish we could have returned in the evening; there was going to be dancing with fire.
Perhaps next year we will go latter in the day. When we went it felt like we were on the face of the sun and the only place to get out of the sun was to go in the tee pees that had been erected for the event. You always have to go once to figure out what you will do next time to make things more comfortable.
All and all it was a neat experience. I shall never forget watching Charlie dance with such rhythm to the beating of the drums. It is that little bit of Choctaw blood from his Great Grandma Boulter's side of the family.


2 comments:
I bet that was something to watch! I have never been to anything like that, but I'm sure we would ave enjoyed it!
Hi Lissy!!! Thanks for the note on my blog :) James really is a special spirit nd I feel so blessed to be his mommy. When he smiles, the rest of the world seemingly melts away and no matter what mood I am in, it ALWAYS brings a smile to my face. I really do love the pictures you put on your blog - tht one of the mountain is gorgeous!! And I loved the explantion you gave about the The Indian Princess Timponugus and her profile and hair. So beautiful. Hope all is going well with you and your family :) Keep in touch :)
Post a Comment