Friday, August 15, 2008

Hot springs

Soaking Up History
When the family purchased the property in 2004 it was in bad shape. The roof had caved in and there was a bunch of structural damage. It has been a slow and rewarding process to restore the building.
The attendant getting our soaking tubes prepared in the private bungalow
Charlie and I went to the outdoor pool because the water was 98 degrees Fahrenheit. These tubes were 108, too hot for a baby for sure!



Nice farmers tan Steven!


In the early eighteen hundreds Hot Lake Springs was established by white men. Prior to that many Native American tribes resided there because it was referred to as a Holy Ground. At Hot Lake Springs there is a natural hot springs that releases 2.5 million gallons of a water a day. The mineral springs averages 208 degrees Fahrenheit. The "hotel" was not built until 1906. Over the years this place has served many purposes. The most interesting is that is was a hospital at one time that was renowned for treating and curing arthritis, tuberculosis, and syphilis. It has a reputation of being hunted. Patients who passed away at the hospital. Syphilis in advanced stages can cause a person to be very mentally ill ("crazy"). Kind of a interesting place.
My Sister and her best friend Katie explored the place before it was purchased and being restored. They said it was very creepy. They found an old exam room with a surgical table and all these hospital records spreed all over the floor. My sister said the feeling there was not good, so they left. All I have to say is they were brave to have gone there in the first place.
Anyhow now a family has purchased the place and they are restoring it. You can actually spend the night because they have hotel rooms.....I think I would be frightened staying in what was once a hospital room. My Mom thought it would be neat to reserve soaking tubs and go soak in the famous Hot Springs water! It was very fun and no lie I felt very good after soaking. It was like taking part in a historical adventure.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh!!!...I LOVE your blog!! -- Yes, me and Jessie "Explored" Hot Lake (lol) - we kind of had to sneak in in the middle of the night to do it :) ;) ...but, yes--it was a very creepy run down old mansion; undoubted haunted...but I could tell it had been very beautiful in it's up and running days. That is SO cool, they are fixing it up!!...I have got to try and spend a night there!...I know it will be totally scary, but I've got to do it--coming full circle from my crazy teenage days I guess :D ...I definitely would've made Jessie do it with me, haha!--Well, one thing for sure; it will be in her loving memory, because we have a lot of stories from that spooky place! (in fact, I was telling some of them to the girls at girlscamp when we were telling scary stories in the tent, lol)
So your blog is giving me "Oregon Fever" Sooo bad! - I am just going to have to plan a trip and make it happen...Nase is wanting to go up there too (thanks to your blog he can now see what a neat and beautiful place I always told him it was)..I can't wait to show him this post. Now what I also came on here to tell you...(next comment)

Anonymous said...

...Is THANK YOU Sooo Much for that awesome package from Baker!! That was SO sweet of you!!--the huckleberry honey and jam from Kerns' -- SO Yummy!...and I am saving the huckleberry pancake mix for a special occasion (that is one of Nase's favorite's --and mine too!) ...and that was so thoughtful of you to put in gifts for the kids--they were very excited!
And I will definitely be planting my Oregon wild flowers next summer!
Yes, that really made my week! (well, more like it made my months--however long the goodies will last I will be taken back to my happy place :) -- NO sharing from me!! haha..j/k)

Anonymous said...

(I have to say...looking at your pictures--they're doing a Really good job restoring Hot Lake 'cause it looks exactly the same, just in better shape. That's cool!) -- Would you mind if I steal these pics from you? (just click & save them off your blog) until I can take my own.

Spencer, Kami, James and Madelynn said...

OH my - those tubs look SO inviting.